Welcome to the dawn of our new...
5TH GRADE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE EXPERIENCE!
Located just north of the quaint little town of Occidental, roughly 40 miles north of Mary Silveira, Alliance Redwoods was unanimously selected as our new 5th grade Outdoor Education Program for 2017-2018. It is a 4-day and 3-night experience and one that our students will not soon forget!
What was the process for shifting from Walker Creek to Alliance Redwoods this year?
Alliance Redwoods was carefully vetted over the course of a year by a teaching and administrative team with representation from all 3 Dixie Elementary Sites. Below is the process used for selection:
- Created task force to evaluate Outdoor Education goals, outcomes, and changing landscape of science
- Considered multiple venues before zeroing in on Alliance Redwoods
- Reviewed their website and literature
- Visited with Alliance Redwood campus directors
- Toured grounds to increase our understanding of their program
- Calculated costs to ensure it supports the needs of our 3 elementary school communities
- Conducted informal interviews with other schools currently attending their program
- Reviewed and discussed curricular programs to ensure they meet our student needs
- Reviewed their safety protocol
- Toured their eatery and sleeping quarters
- Worked with key Dixie Elementary and Walker Creek leaders to keep all informed of progress along the way
- Held a board meeting in the Spring of 2017 to share our findings
By the end of the process, our team walked away, unanimously impressed with everything we saw. There were no components we were uncomfortable with. They are professional and focused on ensuring that all students receive an excellent education experience.
Will there be a Parent Education Evening?
Yes! It is October 12th, Mary Silveira Elementary School, MPR from 6:00-7:00pm. Stay tuned.
What are the dates for this program?
The 2017-2018 Alliance Redwoods Outdoor Adventure is scheduled for Tuesday, March 13th through Friday, March 16th.
What will my child be learning at Alliance Redwoods?
- Forest Ecology and the various relationships within
- Energy cycles
- Animal and plant connections
- Plant anatomy
- Tide pool visits and exploration
- Forest and trail walks
- Night hikes
- Using scientific methods to explore local streams and ponds
- Field trips
- Habitat clues
- Adaptation transformation
- All throughout, the focus is upon students utilizing teamwork, creativity, collaboration, investigation, and connecting themselves to the world around them.
Will there be chaperones for this program?
Yes! Unlike our previous program, parent chaperones will be a part of the program this year. We will need 1 parent for every 7 children. Note the accommodations are pretty amazing at this venue. Not to be missed!
How will my child be traveling to and from Alliance Redwoods?
We are contracted with our Dixie District Bus Transportation program.
Can I print out the form to complete and turn in?
What is the cost of the program?
Total cost: $350
Initial payment: $150 is due by November 9th, 2017.
Final Payment: $200 is due by February 16th, 2017.
Payment Options: If you are looking to pay through a credit card stay tuned as we are preparing that option for you now.
Note that we ensure that every student is provided the opportunity to attend Alliance Redwoods. If your family is in need of financial assistance, requests must be made in writing to Principal Will Anderson, no later than November 9th, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s teacher or Mr. Anderson.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes! If you cannot afford to attend this program, let Mr. Anderson know through an email or letter by November 9th at the latest.
What are my payment options?
- Cash/Check: Collected at school, no extra fee, made to "MESHSA Alliance Redwoods Fund"
- Credit card via Cheddar Up Platform: Online, 3.5% + $0.45
- E-check via Cheddar Up Platform: Online, $0.45
- Paypal: Online, 2.2% + $0.30 fee (See below)
Initial PAYMENT ($150)
2nd payment ($200)
Full payment ($350)