Welcome to the dawn of our new...
5TH GRADE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE experience!
What/Who is Alliance Redwoods?
Located just north of the quaint little town of Occidental, roughly 40 miles north of Mary Silveira, Alliance Redwoods was unanimously selected as our new 5th grade Outdoor Education Program for 2017-2018. It is a 4-day and 3-night experience and one that our students will not soon forget!
What are the dates for this program?
The 2017-2018 Alliance Redwoods Outdoor Adventure is scheduled for Tuesday, March 13th through Friday, March 16th.
What was the process for shifting from Walker Creek to Alliance Redwoods?
Alliance Redwoods was carefully vetted over the course of a year by a teaching and administrative team with representation from all 3 Dixie Elementary Sites. Below is the process used for selection:
- Created task force to evaluate Outdoor Educatiion goals, outcomes, and changing landscape of science
- Considered multiple venues before zeroing in on Alliance Redwoods
- Reviewed their website and literature
- Visited with Alliance Redwood campus directors
- Toured grounds to increase our understanding of their program
- Calculated costs to ensure it supports the needs of our 3 elementary school communities
- Conducted informal interviews with other schools currently attending their program
- Reviewed and discussed curricular programs to ensure they meet our student needs
- Reviewed their safety protocol
- Toured their eatery and sleeping quarters
- Worked with key Dixie Elementary and Walker Creek leaders to keep all informed of progress along the way
- Held a board meeting in the Spring of 2017 to share our findings
By the end of the process, our team walked away, unanimously impressed with everything we saw. There were no components we were uncomfortable with. They are professional and focused on ensureing that all students recewieve an excellent education experience.
What will my child be learning at Alliance Redwoods?
- Forest Ecology and the various relationships within
- Energy cycles
- Animal and plant connections
- Plant anatomy
- Tide pool visits and exploration
- Forest and trail walks
- Night hikes
- Using scientific methods to explore local streams and ponds
- Field trips
- Habitat clues
- Adaptation transformation
- All throughout, the focus is upon students utilizing teamwork, creativity, collaboration, investigation, and connecting themselves to the world around them.
Are there still scholarships available for those who cannot afford the program?
Yes, but unlike our previous program, Alliance Redwoods helps with those scholarships freeing our Home and School Club a few thousand dollars. Yet, another cost savings aspect!
What is the cost of the program?
Total cost for attending the environmental education program is... (TBD)
Initial payment of... (TBD) is due by January 26th, 2018. The final payment of... (TBD) is due no later than Friday, March 2nd, 2018.
All checks are to be made out to “MESHSA Alliance Redwoods Fund”.
For those interested in paying through a credit card, we will have Pay Pal available.
Note that we ensure that every student is provided the opportunity to attend Aliance Redwoods. If your family is in need of financial assistance, requests must be made in writing to Principal Will Anderson, no later than... (TBD)
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s teacher or Mr. Anderson.
Will there be chaperones for this program similar to the 4th grade Coloma adventure?
Yes! Unlike our previous program, parent chaperones will be a part of the program this year. Unlike Coloma though, there is no cost to our school for them! This is a wonderful cost saving aspect.
How will my child be traveling to Alliance Redwoods?
We are working on the details of this one. In the past, students have traveled to Outdoor Education via parent drivers. For 4th grade Coloma, it was a bus. More to come on this one later.
Can I print out the form to complete and turn in?
PAY PAL Option
Welcome to Pay Pal! There is an additional cost for using Paypal. If you would like to make an additional donation to support a family in need of financial assistance we have included options for you. Thank you in advance and we look forward to your child participating in this highly memorable and educational event!